After extensive testing and research, CR determined this product to be:
- TOP PERFORMING
- EFFECTIVE AT SMOKE/DUST/POLLEN REMOVAL
one of our 15 recommended Air Purifiers
Blueair Classic 605
- Especially effective at removing dust.
- Especially effective at removing dust, smoke, and pollen at its highest speed, important for quickly cleaning the air in the room.
- Especially effective at removing smoke.
- Runs quietly on its lowest speed.
- Easy to operate its controls, carry it, and clean or replace its filter(s).
- Has a filter indicator, which lets you know when it's time to change/clean the main filter.
- Energy Star qualified, meaning it’s relatively energy-efficient compared with non-qualified models.
- Very noisy even for an air purifier running at its highest speed.
- Relatively high annual costs, which includes routine filter replacement (if any) and annual operating costs.
- Relatively high filter costs.
- Relatively high operating costs.
Learn more about how we test
About CR Air Purifiers testing
HOURS OF TESTING
CR's TakeThis portable air purifier from Blueair can really clear a room. Boasting an Excellent rating for particle removal in CR’s tests, this machine is among the very top performers. It also has a fairly unique feature: You can control it from afar using a smartphone app. One caveat is that the unit is somewhat loud when operating on high speed.
About Consumer Reports
Consumer Reports puts people first. For more than 80 years, CR has provided consumers with independent research, ratings and recommendations to help make good purchase decisions. As a nonprofit consumer testing and advocacy organization, CR works with businesses and government to improve the safety, performance, value and reliability of products and services.
Every year CR puts manufacturer claims to the test for thousands of products, from cars and appliances to baby products and sunscreens. CR purchases all the products that we test and uses scientific research methods to develop our ratings.